Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Elocutionist

I usually don't like to think of myself as anything apart from a geek, but if I had to try really hard, to think of another passion that is next to my heart, I'd probably put Recitation, above the others. Yes. Recitation, or rather, Elocution, the synonym of my choice.

Ever since I was a kid, I have loved to be on stage. Loved to hog the limelight. Hogged it all. And Elocution and Debating were the best opportunities that I had. And I took to them, like a fish to water. Over the years, debating somehow took a backseat, but elocuting remained close to my heart.

But its been a good many years, since I last went up to the stage, and recited anything. College was a big nightmare that I mindlessly waded through, and work doesn't seem to be different either. Slowly, even the frequency of my Bathroom Recitations waned. And it slowly but surely passed into my list of Things I Used To Like Doing.

Last evening, I chanced upon a pretty darned good print of The Ladykillers. Amazing movie. Though I admit that I am favourably biased towards Tom Hanks, this movie touched a sweet spot. Something long forgotten. A thing of the past.

As soon as I finished watching the movie, dug up some the best pieces that I have ever come across, and saved, in the hope of reciting them someday! Turned on a dim light near the table (which I had conveniently turned around, to face the mirror), enqued some Vivaldi on Winamp, and got down to work.

The next hour or so, was one of the best that I have had in a long, long time. Fleeting memories of a bygone era caressed me. The knot in my stomach before every elocution, the slight perspiration before going on stage, that last moment of utter panic, and finally, the all enveloping feeling of ecstacy at the end of it all. It was all there. It was ALL there!

But the bug has bitten me for good. Been secretly working on a piece. Have plans of doing a recitation at office. Not sure, if its a receptive audience, but well, what the heck! I just need some people around, to see if I still, got the touch. Will blog on the outcome, if it happens.

3 comments:

Madhu Gopalan said...

good for you, rohitesh! its the little things in life that truly make us happy, and the moment we stop paying attention to those choti si aashayen, we're as good as dead!

RD said...

Yes. Very true. I have actually observed this. The kinda pleasure that I get from the "small things", is immensely more satisfying, than the typical bigger, more important stuff.

Like, watching the sunset, getting drenched in the rain, listening to a long forgotten song, elocuting...

Unknown said...

All the best buddy!!!.....